10/02/2014

Trip to London!



Hi lovelies! Sorry I haven't been blogging for a while I've been down in London doing some work experience for an online shop called Boden. I had such an amazing time and loved every minute of it, I wanted to do a blog post on what I did down there and what I bought (kind of a London haul) but to save all of you from having to read a loooong blog post (even longer than this one, sorry!) I've decided to split it into two, this blog post will be about what I did whilst in London and at work experience and the next (which will be up shortly!) will be a London haul


I arrived in London last Sunday after a 3 and a half hour train journey from Durham, I went down first class (which I have never done before, this isn't just a regular thing I do as I'm not posh or rich!!) It was very lovely have endless amounts of tea and coffee on offer. I was greeted off the train by my Uncle (who I was stopping with) who had bought me some cakes from Patisserie Valerie! Before going to the flat we decided to go to Westfield, it's huuuuuge!! I've been there before when I went down about two years ago but I'd forgotten how big it was! 


I started my work experience on Monday, I didn't really know what I'd be doing, I just knew I'd be in the Boden headquarters working in the buying department, Boden is an online shop that sells womenswear, menswear and childrens wear, it's famous for it's eccentric British style and use of bold colours and prints.. Getting off the tube on my first day I noticed a sign by the Boden building (which didn't look that nice from the outside), it said "Horrible building, nice clothes" I just thought this was really nice. Inside the building was beautiful! it was filled with colour and had big prints of pictures they use in their catalogue. 


I learnt I was working in 'mini Boden' which is the girls childrenswear department, I even got my own desk and security pass which when swiped over sensors opened doors (made me feel a bit more important than I actually am and I actually miss it!) over the course of the week I learnt what a buyers role is in the fashion industry, and how much they actually do! The girls I was working with who set me tasks arranged different meeting for me with all the different departments, I met people from the design team, PR, marketing and shooting team which was very interesting, I was set a lot of different tasks which were all actually very fun, I also got to go and see the cupboards where they kept most of the clothes. Everyone was so lovely to me and I felt very welcome, by the end of the week I really didn't want to leave! 




I really enjoyed my week there, even the travel - Apart from the tube strike from Tuesday-Thursday which meant I was limited to where I could go after work, I managed to get to Oxford street on Tuesday before the strike began (how amazing is the Topshop on Oxford street!) I spent Wednesday and Thursday night looking around Westfield as it was the only place I could easily get to

Because I had the weekend free and I hadn't done that much in the week (I'd been getting up at half six, coming in at 8 and I'd be in bed by about half 9!) I decided I wanted to do as much as I could. On Friday went into Piccadilly Circus with my Uncle, we then walked along the river Thames and went for dinner at Strada which is an Italian restaurant below the national festival hall.



I also went to see Liberty London, the department store on Regent Street which sells a wide range of luxury goods (the scarves, bags and jewellery were absolutely gorgeous.. and I'm not even going to the mention the clothes, too beautiful for words, especially the vintage Chanel!)



On Saturday I got the tube into South Kensington and went to the Victoria and Albert museum, I've wanted to go there for while and there was an exhibition on called "80's fashion from clubs to catwalk" which I was dying to see and it didn't disappoint, it featured one of the first collections from designers such as: Paul Smith, Vivienne Westwood, Christian Dior and Alexander Mcqueen. I then visited the national history museum and the science museum. 





I didn't get to see everything in the museums as I didn't have enough time but the bits I did see were amazing and I'd love to go back and spend more time in them. I then went to Harrods and Covent Garden which I absolutely adore, I think it's so beautiful and if the time hadn't been getting on and it hadn't been raining I would've spent a lot more time there too!


I think I've rambled on a bit too much now so well done if you've read this far! All in all I had an amazing week and I can't wait to go back down again sometime and visit new places and spend more time in some of the places I visited this past week. If any of you have been to the places I mentioned above I'd love to know what you thought of them or if you have any favourite places in London that I haven't mentioned I'd love to know them too! Thank you so much for reading!



5 comments:

  1. Wow sounds like a great work experience. I am glad that you took the advice to go to Liberty such an amazing store with beautuiful architecture. Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so good! yeah it was amazing, the store was lovely and everything in it was just perfect so thankyou for the advice! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous you got to do work experience in London! I love London but I live near York so unfortunately quite a bit away :(

    http://rachelcoco.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe that i actually got the opportunity to do it, if you ever got the chance to come over and visit London i'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed! i'd love to go to New York as well x

      Delete
  4. That looks amazing! Loving your blog, check mine out if you like!
    Going to be documenting volunteering aboard soon, so trying to raise awareness of issues such as HIV! :)
    Linkylous, Xxx. http://linkylous.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete